Saturday 7 January 2006

Updates & Sad News

I am still in contact with many of my friends from the sixties - in particular the ones who worked for Grand Met and lived at Ashley Court.

Bobby, who was a fellow telephonist and still lives in London,  tells me that after many decades (can you believe it!) Ashley Court which has been boarded up, is finally showing signs of occupation.  I would love go around that place again before it is altered beyond recognition - but not sure how to achieve this.   Neil (who I haven't mentioned yet - but another Grand Metite) tells me that he was on TV on Channel 5 facing Tony Blair over the war in Iraq - and gave TB such a tough time that he was invited back on the programme lol! [I love my old mates!  ;-) ]

My friend Bernadette who was the housekeeper at Stratters, has finally retired from hotel work and is thoroughly enjoying her 'freedom'.  We promise on every Christmas card that we really will meet up this year!  We haven't met up for some years now.  Although I did manage to meet up with another old friend the other day - we have been trying to get together for the last 10 years and she only lives about 15 miles away!

Eugen tells me that The Importner has been turned into luxury flats - putting paid to any idea of ever staying there again :-(  Ah well, I've had my chance over the years and have never taken it........

Lastly and most sadly, my dear friend Jenny, of whom I have written often in my reminiscences, because we were such good friends back in the sixties and shared many adventures (still more to come) died on 4th January 2006.  She had been fighting cancer for many years, and was such a strong person that she overcame cancer of the breast, stomach, ovaries and recently had a tumour removed from her colon.  Sadly, it was discovered that the cancer had overtaken her liver.  She went into hospital on December 8th 2005, full of hope that finally she could ditch the colostomy bag and lead a more normal life.  Through out, she continued to work full time - she loved her job and her workmates, so I know she is going to leave a very large whole in their lives.  She was such a fighter - I can't believe she's finally lost the battle.  It's like the end of an era.

A very sad Freda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the update ,So sorry to here about Jenny ,dont go back !!its not always a good idea ,you spoil the memory you have of a thing quite often ,Iwonder if an alert will go out for this one ..........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Feeling for you Freda. Lost a good friend myself to cancer last year and another is very sick, fighting cancer for the 6th time.  Take care.
Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your friend Jenny dying ,so sad.......Jean