Sunday 8 January 2006

Life at The Importner

Back to work tomorrow :-(  - so just doing a quick entry, must get an early night tonight. zzzzzzzzzzz

As Wednesday is my day off, I always expected to go and see Eugen, poor lad - I never stopped to think whether or not it was convenient for him. Sometimes he couldn’t see me during the day as he was too busy in their restaurant, but we nearly always managed to meet in the evening and often went out with his sister Sylvie and her hubby, Erwyn, racing around in their sports car. Scares me to think of it now, drinking and driving was the norm - and how we sped around those mountain passes =:-0

On one of these evenings out, Eugen, Sylvie and Erwyn came into the Importner bar for a drink before hand, it was the first time they had been in the hotel and so the first time that anyone had met Eugen, although they had heard all about him! Eugen was looking particularly handsome in a smart suit that I hadn’t seen before - I wished I could afford to buy a nice little black dress to keep my end up - I felt like the poor relation in my cheap summer dress. Still it was nice to see the surprise on Olgi’s face and watch her fussing round him lol!

We had some really fun evenings out with Sylvie and Erwyn, but a couple of months after Eugen’s return to Switzerland, his feet were beginning to itch again, and one of the usual topics of conversation was where he might go to next. Sylvie tried to persuade him to stay a bit longer as she knew how much their parents needed his help, but I knew that Eugen was afraid of being drawn back into the business and his parents coming to rely on him - he knew he had to move on soon.

I had a terrible night, not at the thought of Eugen leaving, I had the most horrendous toothache - it was like nothing I had experienced before - I had to find a dentist, quick! Frau Geiger recommended one and even rang to make me an appointment, but I still had to wait until I’d done my chores! After the dentist had given my mouth a thorough examination, he said I’d probably got an abscess under one of my fillings. He scraped out what was left of the filling, stuffed the cavity with cotton wool and gave me some anti-biotics. I went every day for various treatments until at the end of the week he decided that the abscess had dried up and he gave me a new filling. He also gave me the bill - which almost made the filling fall out again - in shock! I had been used to free dental care in the UK and never gave a thought to how much it was going to cost - it was more than a weeks wages!! I was almost in tears, I hadn’t earned enough by this time to have any savings. The dentist was very kind and went through the bill item by item and ended up knocking it down by about a third, he also gave me a note to take to the tax office where they would pay so much towards the bill.

It’s now August and we are having rather wet weather, but it’s very warm so I enjoy walking in the rain during my repose. I came back from my walk to find that Eugen had rung, he’d left a message to say that he would be picking me up later along with Sylvie and Erwyn. We had a very jolly evening, Eugen was in good spirits. We went to Trichley’s - yet again. It was the only night club in St Gallen - consequently I had been there a couple of times before - each time with a different feller. It was getting a tad embarrassing, as the drummer in the combo recognised me every time and always gave me a cheeky wink.......

I wasn’t smiling at the end of the evening tho’ - the reason for this sudden evening out, was for Eugen to tell me that he was going off to Italy the next day for a 2 week holiday, and he would be looking for work whilst there, so may not be back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU tease, you all ways manage to leave us on a cliff hangar lol ,talking of cliff hangers I darent think of your car rides,that abcess sounded horrific  .....Dont work to hard tomorrow ease your self in gently...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

A real good read, as usual, Freda. Waiting for the next instalment now. By the way, your alerts are working properly again, as are mine. Take care.
Sylvia xx