Saturday 12 February 2005

Info on Gene Pitney

Gene Pitney was born on 17th February 1941 (his 64th birthday is next Thursday!)

He wrote his first recording "I Wanna Love My Life away" which entered the US Top Forty.

He has also written other artist’s biggest hits:-

The Christals - He’s A Rebel

Bobby Vee’s - Rubber Ball

Ricky Nelson’s Hello Mary Lou

He is remembered mostly for his recording of Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa, perhaps because it was his first UK Top Ten hit.

But other singles which reached higher placings in the UK Charts are:

I’m Gonna Be Strong - 1964 - No. 2

Looking Through the Eyes of Love - 1965 - No.3

Backstage - 1966 - No. 4

Nobody Need Your Love - 1966 - No. 2

He has had 5 million selling singles worldwide.

Url to Gene’s website where you can listen to all of his music

http://www.gene-pitney.com/music.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

64 ! Is he really,  how time flies by. Thanks Freda for the these snippets of imformation.  I had forgotten just how many Gene Pitney songs there were, AND I loved then all.  `He`s a Rebel` by the Crystals brings back so many memories of my misspent youth !   Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou: So many memories of the sixties are flooding back, including Billy Fury who sent me "Halfway to Paradise" when I saw him live at The Granada cinema, Aylesbury in 1961. I was 14 and "in love" (Billy Fury, Cliff Richard, Joe Brown - the list goes on!)
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

Sylvia I think we must have seen the same show - although I probably went to Manchester to see it - no distance too great lol!
Freda