Sunday 15 May 2005

Yay - I'm a Star! lol

I was interviewed on Radio Cambridgeshire on Friday.

They had been asking if any of the listeners had ever had a 'gruesome' job, this followed on from a report that someone had been hired (probably by a deodorant Company) to sniff armpits lol!  Well I thought my job in the Pregnancy Diagnostic Centre injecting large slimy toads, ranked as pretty gruesome, so I sent the Presenter an email outlining the basics of the job.  I got a response asking me for more details, so I sent off the complete journal entry that I wrote on here.  Back came another email from the producer of the show saying they were fascinated and wanted to interview me live on air!   

So on Friday morning I had my ten minutes of 'fame' lol! I know it was 40 odd years ago, that this was the way of testing for pregnancy, and I don't know exactly when  it ceased, but I didn't realise that there were people who had never heard of this method and consequently, found it so hard to believe!  Anyway, after a ten minute question and answer session, it was decided to give me the 'award' (purely verbal) for having had the most gruesome job they had ever heard of!

There are other jobs I did in my young life that are now obsolete and I can tell you - it really makes me feel OLD lol!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you!!! Actually going on the radio and chatting about it, wish I had heard it, I really do.  Yes, as jobs go, that has to rank pretty gruesome.

Anonymous said...

I`ve never heard of that method. How revolting!   Did you have to pick them up?....eeyukk!  :-)  Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

How cool to  be a STAR!  I just happened upon your journal today and I love it! Can't wait to read more.

Diane

http://journals.aol.com/jolie424/LuckyBegonia

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me. I love your journal.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I remember having one of those frog test when I was younger. I remember asking the DR. "do those frogs die?" he said they do. Poor frogs. I spotted you journal listed in Jeannette's jottings. I will be back for another visit. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen, how interesting that you should actually have had one of those tests.  But the toad did not necessarily die.  After they had been used 3 times they were shipped back to Africa. Even if we didn't get the correct neutrality, resulting in a certain amount of superficial burning of the skin, it didn't kill them.  I'm glad things have moved on though, I'm sure this test would be considered to be unacceptable today (hopefully!)
Freda