Tuesday 28 December 2004

Christmas In the 1940's

There were seven of us in our family, including Mum & Dad -  two boys and three girls. Dad had come back from the war all in one piece, but only just.  He didn't earn very much and I suppose we were only just above 'poor', but everyone else seemed to be the same, as it was only a few years after the end of  World War 2, and so much was either rationed or simply unavailable - even more financially better off people had to do without - rationing was a great leveller lol!

I don't remember doing without, we were well fed and well clothed - and what you've never had - you never miss!

I remember the Christmas when I would have been about 4 or 5, Dad had made 3 cots for us girls, in three descending sizes, Mum made all the cot sheets in our favourite colours - blue for Mavis, green for Barbara and pink for me. We all had dolls, with moveable joints, so that the dolls could 'sit' and they had eyes that closed too - we were so delighted with them! Mum also made clothes for our dolls, and they were well played with, we didn't need anything else.  The boys had train sets, which I loved to play with as well - I was a real tom-boy!

In later years, the boys had huge meccano sets, they were only made of unpainted metal, but I so loved playing with them - I made a crane that hooked underneath the car I'd made and you could wind up the crane so that it picked up the car - I found that fascinating.  But I had to let the boys play with my bagatelle in return - the whole family wanted to play with my bagatelle :-(

Books were a 'must' for me at Christmas - Lucy Atwell's Annual and Film Star Annuals (which I still have), also jigsaw puzzles and new white ankle socks.  You've no idea how wonderful new ankle socks were - socks had to last until they were too small for me and consequently had many darns in the heels and toes - not very comfortable.  New socks felt lovely and I was proud of the sparkling whiteness of them.

The good part of Christmas past, was that it didn't take much to make us happy - a skipping rope, a whip & top, a home-made gollywog and an orange - I don't remember having chocolate in the 1940's, but Mum used to make toffee apples as a special treat and she would put silver threepenny pieces in the Christmas pudding - one lucky person would find the solitary shilling!

But my very favourite plaything was a book of cardboard dolls, which you either cut around or pressed out, along with a variety of dresses, tops, skirts, slacks (no jeans then lol!) hats and gloves, even dogs and umberellas, and I loved interchanging their outfits.  And all my cardboard dolls had names - my favourite was called Grace, and they would have to do 'lessons' - I made tiny school books for them lol! They were my children and my freinds and I loved them dearly! 

We three girls would take part in the Christmas Concert in the local Church Hall, dressed as angels, our dresses and wings made from Mum's net curtains - which had to go back up at the windows afterwards lol!

Somehow I have managed to put in a photograph of myself aged 6 and one of my Mum & Dad in their younger days - may even have been an engagement photograph.  Now off to see if I can do it again and add photos to my other entries lol!

Hope you had a lovely Christmas here in 2004 and I wish you all a fantastic 2005!

lotsa luv

Freda

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freda, you brought back such memories for me. I was always given the Mabel Lucy Atwell annual and I also had those paper dolls where you cut out the clothes.  I played with them for hours.  We had much simpler pleasures in those days but we never seemed to get bored did we?  I read your entry to Mike who remembers his Mecanno set with much fondness.
Lovely photos as well. Happy New Year to you my friend xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely journal and some wonderful Christmas memories, I too played with paper dolls as a child. I wonder why they don't make them anymore? They were a lot of fun! I will be coming back to read more. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Born in 1947 I recall the cardboard dolls and how I used to make huge wardrobes  of clothes for them. Old "Littlewoods" catalogues, begged from a neighbour, were leafed through until I found something I could cut to size, plus little 'tabs' which you bent over the shoulders and hips of the doll to keep the paper clothes on. White ankle socks with white canvas sandals in summer were 'high' fashion for a little girl. Thanks for the memories.
Sylvia
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

I was directed here by Jeanette.Shes right! Its a good journal and so nostalgic and beautifully expressed.I have so enjoyed reading it and will add to my favourites.

Anonymous said...

lovely memories. Great writing. Will be back again. *Barb*
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Hi Freda ;-)
My name is Angel, I'm new to your journal. My friend Jeannette was speaking very highly of your writing and I have to agree, it's very nostalgic and wonderful. I never lived in the 50's but often dreamt of what it would be like. I long for simpler times without all the confusing technology.
Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories. I'm adding you to my list of journal alerts, so i will be back often ;-)
Hugs & Blessings,
~Angel

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks Angel, so nice to get comments like that - and thank to Jeannette for her kind words.
Freda

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't realise I had so many comments - just found the others - thanks to all for your lovely comments - so glad I brought back a few memories or you all.
Freda

Anonymous said...

hi freda..

i am linda...and i also came here after being directed by jeanette! and boy am i glad i did...i can tell that your journal is going to keep me up many late hours going back through your older entries...these memories are so wonderful...they made me remember many things i had forgotten from my younger years....one big one was about the paper dolls...oh how i loved playing with my paper dolls...u are now added to my alerts...thank u for such a wonderful look back at time journal...

linda

http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny

http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LinnysLuciousLickings

Anonymous said...

Jeanette sent me, great journal you have here, thanks for sharing your memories.
                               *** Coy ***


Anonymous said...

Am so glad I followed Jeannette's advice and popped along to have a read of your journal :o)  Am going to have to read through all the old entries, and add you to my alerts!!  I had a Great Aunt that collected gollywogs, you reminded me of her and made me smile, thank you!
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Hello Freda, I`m Sandra and I have ben here before but came here today via Jeannette`s journal.  I do love to read your stories from your past.  I remember getting a Bagautelle.....I really loved that toy !   Sandra x


Anonymous said...

Hi, i've come here after jeanettes aswell, fantastic reading, i will read all your other entries aswell, it's like being back in time, my mum used to tell me stories, but sadly she died 14 yrs ago, and i miss her, you have brought back some good memories, thankyou.xx Juliexx