Saturday 2 October 2004

How it all began

 

1940's

The blackout, the bombs, the barrage ballons, the sirens. The midnight race down the garden to the Anderson Shelter.

I was born in Sheffield in May 1941, the youngest of five children, Raymond is ten, Maurice eight, Mavis five, and Barbara is three. And the pattern of 2 & 3 years which emerged between each birth, would continue........ I was just four months into gestation during the blitz of December 13th 1940. But I do remember the devastation that Sheffield suffered during the war. I know our memories can play strange tricks - can I really remember with such clarity, running down to the Anderson shelter in the dark, stumbling on the path, being picked up in a strong pair of arms and rushed to safety? The terrifying wail of the sirens, and inordinate fear of the barrage balloon, just above our house? I have strong pictures in my mind's eye that no newsreel could have provided. I can remember the addresses of the various houses we lived in, the neighbours, the games we used to play, even the clothes I used to wear! But certain things can become a little 'shuffled around' in our memories, and although I'm trying to ascertain the accuracy of names, places, events, it’s entirely possible that my memory may stumble a little!

Leather leggings, liberty bodices and black patent ankle straps. The cry of the rag & bone man - he offers me a balloon in exchange for my shoes and I'm outraged!

Victor Sylvester represents chairs on the table whilst mums mops the kitchen floor, Housewives Choice - a house full of damp washing.

Sent off to nursery school at the age of three and a shove from my young neighbour, Peter Parker and I'm 'scarred' for life.

Al Jolson enjoys a come back. Raymond becomes a big fan so I grow up the sounds of 'Mammy'.

Mavis is diagnosed as having a hole in her heart. She will become known as 'The Sheffield Blue Baby', and becomes something of a celebrity. There are always photographers and reporters around, and at a very early age, I start to meet the 'Stars' of the day - Frank Randall, Al Read and Albert & Les Ward - one advantage of being the sister of a 'famous' person!

A special trip to the Sheffield Empire Theatre to see a Christmas pantomime - and I'm terrified!

Early 1950's

I did not expect to pass the 'Eleven Plus' - and I didn't. So a Secondary Modern School education for me. At least I'm with all my friends. And despite being something of a chatterbox, I get to be quite good at certain subjects - "The girl now too busy chatting to pay attention has come top in English, how, I'll never know” - Mr. Parkin, the English teacher.

I also love singing, and join the school choir.

Gymslips, the biggest passion killer of all time, are still part of the school uniform - unfortunately.

We listen to ‘Uncle Mac', who plays children's requests on the BBC light program.

At 7.0pm we cluster around the wireless to listen to Dick Barton - Special Agent, Jock, and Snowywhite - exciting stuff!

Hopalong Cassidy is the cowboy hero at the Saturday afternoon matinee', but my young heart has a yen for his side-kick, Larry. Then, aged 12, another Larry steals my heart - Larry Parks. I go to see 'The Jolson Story', and I'm captivated! That wonderful rich voice, that handsome face, the singing, the dancing......... I start dancing lessons - and I want to go on the stage!

I rush home from school to watch ‘Billy Bunter’ on children’s T.V.

We huddle under the blankets with our transistor radios on a Saturday night (11pm til 12am) to listen to Radio Luxenbourg and Jack Jackson's 'Record Round-up' (the 50's version of today's 'Chart Show'). Which beget the BBC program 'The Top Twenty', (presented by Brian Aldiss) featuring the top twenty selling singles that make up the 'Hit Parade'. (Forerunner to the 'Charts').

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry and oh, the memories you brought back. I had to wear the liberty bodice as well although for some reason until much older I thought they were called liberty "vodices".  Loved Al Read, we all used to gather round the radio for him and also for Journey Into Space.  In fact, I was going to do a journal entry somewhat like this. I still can but I will try and make it sound different to yours, do not want to poach!!!! Yes I remember Uncle Mac and Childrens' Hour. Unlike you I did not get to meet celebrities at that age. You brought back so much for me. I think yours is going to be a great journal.  I am going to add it to links on my page.  Keep it up ~ Jeannette

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/Family/

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks Jeannette - glad to have awoken a few dormant memories! If anyone else who has read my journal would like to add a few of their own memories, I'd love to hear them.

Freda